Saturday, April 14, 2007

Our First "Real" Family Vacation...destination???


Arkansas! Jason wanted to go to Hot Springs. So we thought how great it would be to take the boys. I always thought it would be so beautiful...it wasn't terribly far (about 7 hours) of course if you read my previous blog about our 4 hour drive to/from Indiana you might wonder why we were doing this.

We set out last Friday (the 6th) at about 7:30 a.m. The first 30 mintues were so nice and peaceful we thought "this is nice" and then it started (but we were smart enough this time to place each little one in seperate seats. I honestly didn't think their hands could still reach one another but it's amazing what they can accomplish when they are driven to harm one another! The trip wasn't so bad...except to say I will NEVER go back to Arkansas again and so I don't offend anyone from Arkansas I won't list my reason's why.
We arrived in Hot Springs around 3:00 p.m. and drove up to the park for some great views. It was really beautiful. Back down the mountain and we all got to put our hand in the hot spring which really made you want to jump in and soak it was soooo warm! Then it was off to the Alligator farm. I have no words to explain this place...other than to say um, is there inbreeding in Arkansas? The kids absoultly loved it, which was most important, and the alligators scared the poop out of me! So I guess the 20 minute tour that cost $27 was well worth it.
We drove around a bit and decided to head to Little Rock since we were meeting friends there on Saturday anyway. We got our room at the Embassy (we would be staying there on saturday as well) and then the fun begin.
We promised the boys a dip in the pool. There were about 20 kids all unsupervised and let's just say after two "talks" with them, security coming for which I actually feared for my life when 5 little girls swarmed me and asked if I called security on them, we decided we had enough swimming. We headed to our room, after complaining to the manager who was currently trying to locate all the parents who thought it was appropriate to let kids ages 5-10 swim alone. We listened to the kids run past our room until well after midnight. I complained the next morning and the hotel did feel really bad so we ended up with one night free and we were assured that the same people causing the "ruckus" were checking out that day.
The rest of the vacation went well. Our friend's arrived that afternoon and we all had a great time catching up and letting the kids play together. We shopped at a mall (I think that's what it was...), ate, went swimming and ordered a late night pizza. All in all if I had to rate this vacation on a scale of 1-10 I would give it an 8. We were together as a family, we had a nice hotel room, ate great food, got to see friends and the kids had a blast. They came home with souveniers from Build-A-Bear (Jake has "Kool" the Koala bear and Grayson has "doggie" the dog). Next vacation? We know it's not Arkansas!

No comments: